What is Northwestern Scholars?
Who can access Northwestern Scholars?
Who has profiles in Northwestern Scholars?
The following people at Northwestern University are included:
- All Tenured and Tenure-Line Faculty
- All Research Faculty
- Instructional and Clinical Faculty (excluding Health System Clinicians or Coterminous Faculty)
- All Emeritus Faculty who have ever been included in Northwestern Scholars
- Contributed Services Faculty with active or past grants
- Librarian Faculty identified by the library for inclusion
- Institutional Collaborators
- Select staff who have had grants with key roles and/or publications, determined on a case by case basis
For definitions of any of the groups above, please refer to the myHR Manual.
What content is included?
Data for researchers profiled in Northwestern Scholars include:
- Overall profile information (e.g., a person's positions, education, contact information, research interest descriptions and keywords)
- Research/scholarly output of many types (e.g., publications, digital and visual works, plays, exhibitions, patents administered through Northwestern, other)
- Publication citation data from the abstracting and citation database Scopus
- "Altmetrics" also known as alternative metrics (e.g., mentions in social media and news reports, by bloggers and readers on open web sources like Mendeley, and more) provided by PlumX and Altmetric on publications imported from Scopus
- Project/grant awards administered through Northwestern, Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, or Lurie Children's Hospital that may be publicly displayed
- System-generated Fingerprint research "concepts"
- Collaboration networks visualization and drill-downs
- Organizational unit profiles
- Descriptions of Research Core Facilities
What is the source of the content?
Where possible, data from authoritative sources automatically populate the system and faculty profiles. Primary sources include:
- Northwestern's HR system for faculty appointment data
- Northwestern's, Shirley Ryan AbilityLab's and Lurie Children's Hospital's grants tracking systems for grant award data that may be publicly displayed
- Scopus and other import sources (e.g., PubMed, Web of Science) for publication data
- Northwestern's patent tracking database
- For faculty except those in the medical school, manually added data from CVs provided by schools and faculty where reliable data import sources are not available (e.g., education, research interests, keywords, and research output when not available from import sources)
- For medical school faculty, Feinberg School of Medicine's faculty information database for education, training/certifications, research interests, research keywords, and manually added publications (temporarily on hold due to medical school system development)
How frequently is content updated?
Updates to content in Northwestern Scholars occur as follows:
- Persons and organizations: monthly
- Research Output:
- Publications automatically imported from Elsevier's Scopus database: weekly
- Research output imported from other sources or manually entered: as needed
- Citation data imported from Scopus: monthly
- Altmetrics (from PlumX and Altmetric) for publications imported from Scopus: real time
- Patents administered through Northwestern: updates temporarily on hold
- Grant awards:
- Northwestern InfoEd data: weekly
- Lurie Children's Hospital and Shirley Ryan AbilityLab: one to two times per year
- Manually added information (e.g., education, research interests, research keywords):
- Feinberg School of Medicine faculty: temporarily on hold due to medical school system development
- All other faculty: as needed
- Fingerprinting/research concepts (see description below): daily
- Core Facilities descriptions: monthly
What software is used?
What is Fingerprinting?
Who should I contact with questions, updates, or concerns?
What is the methodology for inclusion of faculty members, departments, research output, and grants that appear when clicking on the COVID-19 banner located on the Northwestern Scholars homepage?
This banner links to a pre-populated search for several key terms related to COVID-19 (the full list of terms can be viewed in the search box on the top of the page).
- Faculty (called Experts in Scholars) or Departments (called Organizations in Scholars) appear if their profile or Pure Fingerprints contain one or more of the terms.
- Research Output or Grants appear if their title, abstract/summary, or keywords contain one or more of the terms.